I always seem to have really mixed feelings about the New Year: on one hand it’s slightly depressing as a marker of how fast time is flying by (I can still remember the change of the millenium – I was only seven at the time, but still! How the hell is it almost 2016!?), whilst there’s also a certain positivity attached to it through the promise of a fresh start and new beginnings. This year is the same as ever, as I feel slightly reluctant to let go of what was a pretty good year for me (moving house, meeting my boyfriend, keeping up with my blogging and starting my Etsy shop), but am really looking forward to the coming one.
And what does looking forward to the New Year mean? It’s resolution time, of course! Whether or not I manage to stick to them is anyone’s guess, but it seems like a good idea to start a New Year full of good intentions, and have something to look back on that will hopefully motivate me.
So here are my resolutions for 2016:
- Continue to stick to a blog schedule: A few weeks ago I did this post about a new blog schedule I was going to try out, which would involve me posting three times a week. So far I’ve stuck to it (aside from last week when I took a break for Christmas), but it has only been a matter of weeks, so I’d love to try and keep it up in the New Year (I’ve even bought a pretty sparkly diary to plan out my posts in!).
- Up my social media ante: As far as my social media profiles are concerned (primarily Twitter and Instagram) it tends to be feast or famine: I’ll post religiously for a couple of weeks and then go AWOL for days or even weeks at a time. Therefore I’d love to be more consistent with them in the New Year, and maybe try some new things like Twitter chats.
- Grow my blog further: No one likes to admit that they would love more followers or page views, but there’s no denying I would really like to grow my blog further. It’s far from the most important thing, but it would be nice to see the numbers increase in 2016! I’ve been stalled at around 150 on Bloglovin for a while, and I’d love to at least get to 200 soon.
- Write more fiction: I often find that when I work a lot on my blog my fiction writing slips by the wayside, and that has certainly been the case recently. Therefore I’d love to get back to it, and maybe even start a bigger fiction project like revising my NaNoWriMo 2014 novel, or starting a new one.
- Read the books I already own: I have so many books that I have bought and haven’t read yet that I should really work on reading those before I buy any more!
- Read more widely: I feel like I’ve branched out a little bit more this year, and its resulted in me finding so many great books I might not otherwise have tried. Therefore I want to keep this up and push myself further in the New Year.
- Get a new job: This was on my list last year, and I’m ashamed to say I am still in the same job, only I dislike it even more now. Therefore my main aim this next year is to find something else!
- Go to some new places: This year I’d really love to go to some new places, and since it has been forever since I last went on holiday I’d love to maybe get a couple of trips away in! Having still never gone abroad I’d really like to do that this year, but I guess that depends on whether or not I can save up the money. Which leads me on to…
- Be better with money: I am absolutely terrible with money, and since I moved out of my parents’ house this last year I have found it a struggle to manage my finances (not helped by my minimum wage job – yet another reason to find another!). Therefore I want to really try hard this year to manage my money better, which will make life so much less stressful in the long run!
So those are my resolutions for 2016. Have you made any resolutions this year?