It really annoys me when people belittle the YA genre, and imply that it’s only for teens and is somehow ‘lesser’ than other kinds of fiction… For one thing, no one should be telling anyone what they should or shouldn’t be reading, and for another, they’re totally wrong.
Yes, YA is primarily written for the young adult audience, but personally I think anyone can read and enjoy a YA novel, and take a lot from it. YA is in no way ‘lighter’ or ‘fluffier’ than other kinds of fiction, in fact often you can guarantee a certain level of depths and emotion purely on the basis of having younger characters. Because let’s face it, teenagers feel everything so much more strongly… I certainly remember my own angst-riddled teenage years where I felt as if the whole world was against me, and every tiny thing felt huge and emotionally weighted.
As such, there are some really great quotes in YA books that are relatable, insightful, memorable or just plain beautiful, and I thought I’d collect a few of my favourites in the post (and I’ve even made some fun graphics for some of them!).
Let me know some of your own favourite YA quotes!
- “You could rattle the stars. You could do anything, if you only dared. And deep down, you know it too, and that’s what scares you the most.” – Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas.
- “And in that moment, I swear we were infinite.” – The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.
- “As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.” – The Fault In Our Stars by John Green.
- “Many boys will bring you flowers. But someday you’ll meet a boy who will learn your favorite flower, your favorite song, your favorite sweet. And even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won’t matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart.” – Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo.
- “Once there was a little girl who played her music for a little boy in the wood. She was small and dark, he was tall and fair, and the two of them made a fancy pair as they danced together, dancing to the music the little girl heard in her head.” – Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones.
- “In new situations, all the trickiest rules are the ones nobody bothers to explain to you. (And the ones you can’t Google.)” – Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell.
- “The thing I realize is, that it’s not what you take, it’s what you leave.” – All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven.
- “Life can be long or short, it all depends on how you choose to live it. It’s like forever, always changing. For any of us our forever could end in an hour, or a hundred years from now. You can never know for sure, so you’d better make every second count. What you have to decide is how you want your life to be. If your forever was ending tomorrow, is this how you’d want to have spent it?“ – The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen.
- “That was when I realized, as terrifying and painful as reality can be, it’s also the only place where you can find true happiness. Because reality is real.” – Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.
- “We accept the love we think we deserve.” – The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.
So what do you think of these YA quotes? What are some of your favourites?